Student Community Service Requirement Information
Every student signs the Home School Agreement at the beginning of the school year which requires high school students to complete at least 10 hours of community service and middle school students to complete a minimum of 6 hours for each school year.
What is considered Community Service?
Community service is a service you complete that helps the community or the less fortunate.
- Beach/Park Clean-Up
- Helping at an Animal Shelter or Elderly Home
- Run-a-thons for a purpose (Autism, Cancer)
- Assisting at a food bank and helping the less fortunate
There are many opportunities for students to acquire these hours. Volunteering at various places count towards these hours as long as they are:
- Approved by a New West office administrator
- Signed off by a director of the volunteer program
- Supervised by another worker on site
Examples of local facilities to contact (click on the names below to reach their websites):
Stoner Park | West LA Animal Shelter | Bichons and Buddies | Surfrider (beach clean-up) | Santa Monica Public Library
For questions regarding any Service Learning opportunity, please email Ms. Perez.
*Remember to have your parents verify /consent when going to an event or helping at a local facility.
Note that this page is for students. Parents should go to our Parent Volunteer page to log volunteer hours.