Hi there! My name is Layla Guest (she/her/hers) and I am a dancer, choreographer, and educator from Long Beach, Ca. I hold a BFA in Dance from the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) and an MFA in Dance from Sarah Lawrence College (Bronxville, NY). I teach all styles of dance and have performed professionally and presented my work in theatres and festivals in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Long Beach, Ca, Santa Barbara, Ca, and Colchester, Vermont. I also enjoy studying dance as a force of popular culture and love to explore the lineage of current trends in dance to their roots in original forms.
I have been on faculty and served as a guest artist/artist in residence at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy's College of Performing Arts, Santa Barbara City College, Long Beach City College, Renaissance High School for the Arts (Long Beach), Wilson High School (Long Beach), Jordan High School (Long Beach), Pasadena High School (Pasadena, Ca), Brown Ledge (Colchester, Vt) and Long Beach Unified School District's Migrant Education and Welfare-to-Work programs.
A few fun facts about me:
• I am a third-generation Angeleno, living on Tongva land.
• I have a wonderful partner, Dan, who is a High School Band Director.
• My two kids, Naomi and Arlo, are incredible, creative, curious, and wild.
• I am committed to Anti-Bias/Anti-Racist education.
• My mom is also a dancer and dance educator.
• I love to be creative and enjoy making things with clay.
• I've never had a dog.
• I love Indian food.
• My number one non-dance-related goal is to keep indoor plants alive in our classroom.